01 Sep Summer Camp – Back to the Future – Tuesday 15th – Friday 18th August
We had 41 enthusiastic young people from age 6 –16 all creating and developing performance pieces in dance, drama and song to perform on the afternoon of the Friday in front of an audience of family and friends. In 4 days, the two groups created 4 drama pieces, 4 dances and 4 songs from different time periods as the time machine travelled forwards and back to various historical events and future worlds. These included:
- The Victorian workhouse with ‘Food Glorious Food’ from Oliver
- ‘A World of Colour’ dance using ideas from the paintings of Mexican artist Frida Khalo from 1938
- A stately dance from the court of Henry VIII with his six wives addressing him using the song ‘Six’ from Six the Musical.
- Two visits to the Ancient Egyptians and Greeks through dance pieces and the evacuation of children from London during the Blitz of WW2.
- And a look into the future with ‘When I grow up’ from Matilda the musical and ‘Radio GaGa’ from We will Rock You as well as a nod to the Timelord, Doctor Who.
All this in 4 days with 4 hours a day! A great achievement with thanks to Sophie for the drama ideas, Georgie for the dance and Rachel for the songs. It was lovely to have a past Flying High team working together again to create a wonderful summer camp.